MARKETING AND DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
Soho Rep. seeks a full-time Marketing and Development Associate to market Soho Rep.’s productions, expand the community of people seeing our work, strengthen connections with current audience members, and deepen relationships with individual and institutional funders. The Marketing and Development Associate will also be a primary team member helping to meet earned and contributed revenue goals totaling $1.5M annually. Anticipated start date is 2/01/16.
Soho Rep. is a “very big, small theater.” Our Mainstage productions are consistently among the most artistically ambitious and critically acclaimed of any non-profit theater in the city with recent productions of note including César Alvarez & The Lisps’s FUTURITY, Anne Washburn’s 10 OUT OF 12, debbie tucker green’s GENERATIONS, Branden Jacobs-Jenkins’s AN OCTOROON, David Adjmi’s MARIE ANTOINETTE, and Annie Baker’s adaptation of UNCLE VANYA.
The Marketing and Development Associate will report directly to the Executive Director while working closely with the Artistic Director, Development Manager, and a terrific Board. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
The Marketing and Development Associate will:
- Oversee all of Soho Rep.’s show specific marketing efforts including e-blasts, poster and postcard mailings, list exchanges with other theaters, group sales, and online and print advertising with the goal of expanding the community of people who see our work
- Work closely with ED and outside graphic designer to execute new institutional marketing campaign with integrated print, video and social media components
- Work closely with artistic staff members to market FEED, Writer/ Director Lab, and Studio events
- Develop and execute ongoing social media strategy to promote specific events as well as increase regular engagement with our fans and followers
- Serve as primary contact for over a dozen community partners including BMCC, Bronx Prep, and The Lower Eastside Girls Club and work with artistic staff members to identify and build new partnerships
- Assist Development Manager with database management, gift entry, and general donor acknowledgment
- Research and get to know current donors and suggest strategies for deepening their engagement with Soho Rep.
- Assist in the planning and execution of Development events including annual Gala, cultivation events and Opening Night parties
- Assist in the planning and execution of two direct mail fundraising pieces annually
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years administrative experience with marketing and/or fundraising experience at an arts organization preferred
- Deep understanding of Soho Rep.’s mission and work and ability to communicate that mission to a wide range of people
- Excellent computer competency and experience with graphic design suites, Microsoft Word (including mail merge), and Excel. Experience with Constant Contact (or comparable email service), Ovationtix (or comparable ticketing service), DonorPro (or comparable fundraising database) a plus
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ambition and serious interest in a career in arts administration
- Excellent organizational and analytic skills. Being detail and deadline-oriented is a must
To apply, please send a resume, thoughtful cover letter, and expected salary range via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Marketing and Development Associate” in the subject line of your email. In your cover letter, please clearly and simply state the reasons that you are applying for this specific position as well as your greater desire to work at Soho Rep.
Soho Rep. is an equal opportunity employer.
Intern at Soho Rep
Soho Rep. offers Artistic, Literary, Management, and Tech internships in three cycles: Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May), and Summer (May-August). As Soho Rep. is a small company, interns work closely with staff and experience the day-to-day operations of a thriving downtown theatre company from the inside.
In addition to the events and tasks outlined below, interns are welcome to attend opening and closing night performances and parties and all artistic events including readings and development workshops. Interns are unpaid, but receive a transportation stipend and college credit. The minimum time commitment varies based on the internship focus.
Please indicate which internship you are applying for in the subject line of your email and include how many hours per week you are available to work in your cover letter.
Fall – submit by July 16
Spring– submit by January 5
Summer – submit by April 1
The Artistic Intern will work closely with the Artistic Director, assisting her with scheduling, correspondence, and research. He/she will attend all production meetings and have a vital role in production and artistic planning, rehearsals, and performances. He/she will also have a role in producing the Writer/Director Lab and some Studio projects.
Literary and Humanities Intern
The Literary and Humanities Intern will assist the Literary Manager 2-4 days per week. Key responsibilities include reading play submissions and composing reports for consideration. He/she will also assist in organizing and running FEED events and Writer/Director Lab readings and will manage online book orders.
The Management Internship is geared towards an arts administrator with a keen interest in both fundraising and event planning. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Development Manager s/he will be responsible for a variety of tasks including helping to plan and execute intimate donor events and large scale events like our annual Gala, as well as managing our fundraising database, managing direct mail campaigns and generating acknowledgement letters. The right candidate for this position has excellent organizational and analytic skills, is fluent in Microsoft Word (including mail merge), Excel, and mac. S/he also has excellent communication skills and an ability to clearly connect with the mission of Soho Rep both in formal written material and across social media platforms including facebook, twitter and email blasts. Soho Rep is at an exciting time of growth within the organization and the Intern will be part of establishing new systems and creating a roadmap for future activities.
Working closely with the Theater & Office Manager and the Producer, this intern will be an integral part of the Soho Rep. team, learning about the inner workings of a non-profit theater mounting an off-Broadway production. Primary responsibilities include assisting with rehearsal and theater load-in and strike, assisting the Theater & Office Manager on all facilities matters including building upgrades and maintenance, managing the ordering of supplies, and reporting to all production departments during tech rehearsals to see that their needs are met. Internship may be tailored to candidate’s skill set and interests. This intern will be encouraged to observe rehearsals and sit in on production meetings throughout the course of the Mainstage productions. The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of theatrical equipment and practices, and will have an interest in a career as a Production Manager, Stage Manager, or Technical Director. This is a part-time position, with flexible hours. Must be available some nights and weekends.
To apply for an internship, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com