Director of Development or Development Manager
Soho Rep. seeks a full-time Director of Development or Development Manager to work closely with the Executive Director and Artistic Directors to meet and grow contributed income goals now totaling $1.6M annually.
Soho Rep. is an award-winning off-Broadway theater that is known for producing artistically ambitious, socially relevant, cutting-edge new work by writers like César Alvarez and The Lisps, Alice Birch, Jackie Sibblies Drury, debbie tucker green, Aleshea Harris, Lucas Hnath, Branden Jacobs Jenkins, Daniel Alexander Jones, and Young Jean Lee. We also commission and develop new plays through our Studio program, and work with 10 early-career artists each season in the Writer/ Director Lab. We strive to make our administrative office reflect the values of our onstage work by sharing a commitment to high standards, seeking out innovation, and embracing collaboration. For more information about Soho Rep. please visit sohorep.org.
The Director of Development or Development Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and will also work closely with the Artistic Director, Marketing Manager, and a terrific Board. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-directed fundraising professional with a strong passion for our work that wants to make a difference at the Soho Rep. during a crucial period of the company’s evolution.
Soho Rep. is interested in meeting with both seasoned professionals who can thrive in a small office as well as newer fundraisers who are self-starters and have the skills and drive necessary to grow into a leadership position at Soho Rep.
The Director of Development or Development Manager will take ultimately take ownership for individual, institutional, and events goals.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Growing Inner Circle membership program ($2,000+) with an emphasis on increasing revenue and renewal rates through year-round cultivation.
- Working with grant writer to increase institutional support for the theater.
- Working with event producer to plan and execute annual Gala with a focus on increasing ticket, table and live auction revenue now grossing ~$315K annually.
- Planning multiple cultivation events as well as Opening Night parties each season.
- Planning and executing two direct mail pieces annually as well as ongoing direct mail renewals.
- Collaborating with Marketing Manager to grow Dot Project membership program ($100-1,999).
- Collaborating with Marketing Manager on maintenance of fundraising database, gift entry, and thank you letters.
- Playing a key role in developing a strategic plan and capital campaign with the Executive and Artistic Directors over the next 2-3 years.
- The successful candidate will also assume responsibilities for growing major gifts and building the Board in keeping with their experience level.
- 3+ years non-profit fundraising experience for Development Manager; 5+ years non-profit fundraising experience for Director of Development. Increasing levels of responsibility and individual giving experience preferred.
- Passion for Soho Rep.’s mission and work and ability to communicate about the work with a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to plan and execute complicated projects with competing deadlines from beginning to end.
- Experience with fundraising and ticketing databases preferred.
- Must be able to work nights and occasional weekends.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and expected salary range via email to email@example.com. Soho Rep. offers competitive salaries, benefits, and professional development opportunities. Indicate “Development” in the subject line of your email. In your cover letter, please describe your interest and experience in fundraising and specific reasons for wanting to work at Soho Rep.
Soho Rep. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
Intern at Soho Rep
Soho Rep. offers Artistic, Literary, Management, and Tech internships in three cycles: Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May), and Summer (May-August). As Soho Rep. is a small company, interns work closely with staff and experience the day-to-day operations of a thriving downtown theatre company from the inside.
In addition to the events and tasks outlined below, interns are welcome to attend opening and closing night performances and parties and all artistic events including readings and development workshops. Interns are unpaid, but receive a transportation stipend and college credit. The minimum time commitment varies based on the internship focus.
Please indicate which internship you are applying for in the subject line of your email and include how many hours per week you are available to work in your cover letter.
Fall – submit by July 16
Spring– submit by January 5
Summer – submit by April 29
The Artistic Intern will work closely with the Artistic Director, assisting her with scheduling, correspondence, and research. He/she will attend all production meetings and have a vital role in production and artistic planning, rehearsals, and performances. He/she will also have a role in producing the Writer/Director Lab and some Studio projects.
Literary and Humanities Intern
The Literary and Humanities Intern will assist the Producer 2-4 days per week. Key responsibilities include managing the Soho Rep Bookshop, reading play submissions and script coverage, and assisting with coordinating the Writer/Director Lab and its activities. They will also assist in the planning of FEED events, and other ancillary activities in support of Soho Rep.’s artistic programming.
The Management Internship is geared towards an arts administrator with a keen interest in both fundraising and event planning. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Development Manager s/he will be responsible for a variety of tasks including helping to plan and execute intimate donor events and large scale events like our annual Gala, as well as managing our fundraising database, managing direct mail campaigns and generating acknowledgement letters. The right candidate for this position has excellent organizational and analytic skills, is fluent in Microsoft Word (including mail merge), Excel, and mac. S/he also has excellent communication skills and an ability to clearly connect with the mission of Soho Rep both in formal written material and across social media platforms including facebook, twitter and email blasts. Soho Rep is at an exciting time of growth within the organization and the Intern will be part of establishing new systems and creating a roadmap for future activities.
Working closely with the Production and Facilities Manager and the Producer, this intern will be an integral part of the Soho Rep. team, learning about the inner workings of a non-profit theater mounting an off-Broadway production. Primary responsibilities include assisting with rehearsal and theater load-in and strike, assisting the Production and Facilities Manager on all facilities matters including building upgrades and maintenance, managing the ordering of supplies, and reporting to all production departments during tech rehearsals to see that their needs are met. Internship may be tailored to candidate’s skill set and interests. This intern will be encouraged to observe rehearsals and sit in on production meetings throughout the course of the Mainstage productions. The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of theatrical equipment and practices, and will have an interest in a career as a Production Manager, Stage Manager, or Technical Director. This is a part-time position, with flexible hours. Must be available some nights and weekends.
To apply for an internship, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.