Director of Development
Soho Rep. seeks a full-time Director of Development to work closely with Executive Director to develop and execute strategy for meeting and growing contributed income revenues now totaling $1.3 million annually.
Soho Rep. is a “very big, small theater.” Our Mainstage productions are consistently among the most artistically ambitious and critically acclaimed of any non-profit theater in New York City with recent productions of note including An Octoroon by Branden Jacobs Jenkins, Futurity by Cesar Alvarez and The Lisps, Duat by Daniel Alexander Jones, Revolt. She said. Revolt Again. by Alice Birch, generations by debbie tucker green and 10 out of 12 by Anne Washburn.
The DOD will report directly to the Executive Director while working closely with the Artistic Director, Marketing and Development Associate, and a terrific Board.
Major responsibilities of the Director of Development will include:
• Working with Executive & Artistic Directors to develop and execute strategic cultivation plan for acquiring major donors at the $10,000+ level
• Overseeing Inner Circle membership program ($2,000+) with an emphasis on increasing revenue and renewal rates through year-round engagement and cultivation
• Working with Executive & Artistic Directors to develop strategy for capital campaign with anticipated public launch in the next 2-3 years
• Serving as primary point of contact for external contracted grant writer while working to increase institutional support for the theater with a focus on identifying project specific support and cultivating prospective new funders.
• Serving as primary point of contact for external contracted event producer to plan and execute annual Gala with a focus on increasing ticket, table and live auction revenue now grossing ~$315K annually.
• Planning and executing multiple cultivation events as well as Opening Night parties
• Planning and working with Marketing and Development Associate to execute two direct mail pieces annually
• Strategizing and supervising execution of the Marketing and Development Associate’s expansion of Dot Project membership program ($100-1,999)
• Supervising Marketing and Development Associate’s management of fundraising database, gift entry, and donor acknowledgment
• 3-5 years non-profit fundraising experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and management experience; individual giving preferred
• Deep understanding of Soho Rep.’s mission and work and ability to communicate that mission to a wide range of people
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a small office environment
• Excellent organizational and analytic skills. Being detail and deadline-oriented is a must
• Experience with DonorPro (or comparable fundraising database) and Ovationtix (or comparable ticketing service) a plus.
To apply, please send a resume, thoughtful cover letter, and expected salary range via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Director of Development” in the subject line of your email. In your cover letter, please clearly and simply state the reasons that you are applying for this specific position as well as your greater desire to work at Soho Rep. Soho Rep. is an equal opportunity employer.
Intern at Soho Rep
Soho Rep. offers Artistic, Literary, Management, and Tech internships in three cycles: Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May), and Summer (May-August). As Soho Rep. is a small company, interns work closely with staff and experience the day-to-day operations of a thriving downtown theatre company from the inside.
In addition to the events and tasks outlined below, interns are welcome to attend opening and closing night performances and parties and all artistic events including readings and development workshops. Interns are unpaid, but receive a transportation stipend and college credit. The minimum time commitment varies based on the internship focus.
Please indicate which internship you are applying for in the subject line of your email and include how many hours per week you are available to work in your cover letter.
Fall – submit by July 16
Spring– submit by January 5
Summer – submit by April 29
The Artistic Intern will work closely with the Artistic Director, assisting her with scheduling, correspondence, and research. He/she will attend all production meetings and have a vital role in production and artistic planning, rehearsals, and performances. He/she will also have a role in producing the Writer/Director Lab and some Studio projects.
Literary and Humanities Intern
The Literary and Humanities Intern will assist the Literary Manager 2-4 days per week. Key responsibilities include reading play submissions and composing reports for consideration. He/she will also assist in organizing and running FEED events and Writer/Director Lab readings and will manage online book orders.
The Management Internship is geared towards an arts administrator with a keen interest in both fundraising and event planning. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Development Manager s/he will be responsible for a variety of tasks including helping to plan and execute intimate donor events and large scale events like our annual Gala, as well as managing our fundraising database, managing direct mail campaigns and generating acknowledgement letters. The right candidate for this position has excellent organizational and analytic skills, is fluent in Microsoft Word (including mail merge), Excel, and mac. S/he also has excellent communication skills and an ability to clearly connect with the mission of Soho Rep both in formal written material and across social media platforms including facebook, twitter and email blasts. Soho Rep is at an exciting time of growth within the organization and the Intern will be part of establishing new systems and creating a roadmap for future activities.
Working closely with the Theater & Office Manager and the Producer, this intern will be an integral part of the Soho Rep. team, learning about the inner workings of a non-profit theater mounting an off-Broadway production. Primary responsibilities include assisting with rehearsal and theater load-in and strike, assisting the Theater & Office Manager on all facilities matters including building upgrades and maintenance, managing the ordering of supplies, and reporting to all production departments during tech rehearsals to see that their needs are met. Internship may be tailored to candidate’s skill set and interests. This intern will be encouraged to observe rehearsals and sit in on production meetings throughout the course of the Mainstage productions. The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of theatrical equipment and practices, and will have an interest in a career as a Production Manager, Stage Manager, or Technical Director. This is a part-time position, with flexible hours. Must be available some nights and weekends.
To apply for an internship, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com