Production and Facilities Manager
Soho Rep is seeking a full time Production and Facilities manager. This position will work directly with Soho Rep’s Producer to plan and execute 2 – 3 mainstage productions, 3 -5 Studio workshops, FEED programming and Writer/Director Lab Programming throughout the year. This person will also be the primary supervisor of Soho Rep’s venue at 46 Walker Street year-round.
The Production and Facilities Manager’s major responsibilities will include:
- Consulting with Producer on production budgeting and calendar
- Tracking all production and facility expenses
- Setting design and production deadlines in conjunction with Producer, working directly with designers to adhere to the set production calendar
- Creating and maintaining production calendars including load-in and strike schedules and incorporating rental schedules into Soho Rep production calendar
- Scheduling and running all production meetings
- Hiring and supervising all stage management, technical crew and other production support positions
- Overseeing all work calls in theatre in conjunction with freelance Technical Director
- Assessing feasibility of designs for all departments; creating bid packages in conjunction with freelance Technical Director for scenic and lighting and sound companies respectively, managing bid processes and award
- Overseeing theater maintenance; making repairs when possible and coordinating with contractors for building issues that require specialization. Scheduling regular cleaning appointments with cleaning company.
- Manage technical and logistical aspects of building re-opening activities, including one – two special events
- Acting as Venue Liaison for rental companies, including contracting, walkthroughs at beginning and end of rental period and answering general questions about the space
- Conducting annual inventories of theatre lighting and sound equipment and managing any necessary repairs
- Production managing the annual spring gala at an offsite location.
- Assist Executive Director and outside Architect and General Contractor in coordinating one-time theater renovations to take place in theatre during summer – fall 2017. Direct responsibilities will include overseeing general restoration of the space after renovations are completed to make the space production-ready.
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of all aspects of technical theater, a minimum of 2 -4 years’ experience with production management, ideally in New York City, and will thrive in a small, rigorous, team-oriented environment. Ability to work under pressure and in rapidly changing circumstances, as well as a sense of humor, are a must.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Compensation includes benefits. Desired start date is August 1, 2017.
Soho Rep. is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: Please email resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Intern at Soho Rep
Soho Rep. offers Artistic, Literary, Management, and Tech internships in three cycles: Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May), and Summer (May-August). As Soho Rep. is a small company, interns work closely with staff and experience the day-to-day operations of a thriving downtown theatre company from the inside.
In addition to the events and tasks outlined below, interns are welcome to attend opening and closing night performances and parties and all artistic events including readings and development workshops. Interns are unpaid, but receive a transportation stipend and college credit. The minimum time commitment varies based on the internship focus.
Please indicate which internship you are applying for in the subject line of your email and include how many hours per week you are available to work in your cover letter.
Fall – submit by July 16
Spring– submit by January 5
Summer – submit by April 29
The Artistic Intern will work closely with the Artistic Director, assisting her with scheduling, correspondence, and research. He/she will attend all production meetings and have a vital role in production and artistic planning, rehearsals, and performances. He/she will also have a role in producing the Writer/Director Lab and some Studio projects.
Literary and Humanities Intern
The Literary and Humanities Intern will assist the Literary Manager 2-4 days per week. Key responsibilities include reading play submissions and composing reports for consideration. He/she will also assist in organizing and running FEED events and Writer/Director Lab readings and will manage online book orders.
The Management Internship is geared towards an arts administrator with a keen interest in both fundraising and event planning. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Development Manager s/he will be responsible for a variety of tasks including helping to plan and execute intimate donor events and large scale events like our annual Gala, as well as managing our fundraising database, managing direct mail campaigns and generating acknowledgement letters. The right candidate for this position has excellent organizational and analytic skills, is fluent in Microsoft Word (including mail merge), Excel, and mac. S/he also has excellent communication skills and an ability to clearly connect with the mission of Soho Rep both in formal written material and across social media platforms including facebook, twitter and email blasts. Soho Rep is at an exciting time of growth within the organization and the Intern will be part of establishing new systems and creating a roadmap for future activities.
Working closely with the Theater & Office Manager and the Producer, this intern will be an integral part of the Soho Rep. team, learning about the inner workings of a non-profit theater mounting an off-Broadway production. Primary responsibilities include assisting with rehearsal and theater load-in and strike, assisting the Theater & Office Manager on all facilities matters including building upgrades and maintenance, managing the ordering of supplies, and reporting to all production departments during tech rehearsals to see that their needs are met. Internship may be tailored to candidate’s skill set and interests. This intern will be encouraged to observe rehearsals and sit in on production meetings throughout the course of the Mainstage productions. The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of theatrical equipment and practices, and will have an interest in a career as a Production Manager, Stage Manager, or Technical Director. This is a part-time position, with flexible hours. Must be available some nights and weekends.
To apply for an internship, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com